Centre d'Etudes Spatiales de la Biosphère
The purpose of CESBIO is to contribute to the progress of knowledge on the functioning of continental surfaces and their interactions with climate and humans, relying heavily on satellite data. Satellites constitute one of the few means available to obtain coherent measurements over large areas. Earth Observation offer both the opportunity to monitor the evolution of the planet, at various scales, and fuel the development and implementation of process models.
CESBIO is structured around a network of sites (“Chantiers”) and teams. “Chantiers” feed research to answer questions raised by the public authorities. Teams are in charge of the long-term research developments.
The laboratory also contributes to the development and promotion of Earth Observation by participating in the definition, implementation and scientific exploitation of space missions.
CESBIO is a joint research unit with:
- National Centre for Space Studies (CNES)
- National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS)
- Research Institute for Development (IRD)
- University Toulouse 3 Paul Sabatier (UT3)
- National Institute of Research for agriculture, food and environment (INRAE)
CESBIO is part of the Midi Pyrénées Observatory